El Paso, Texas
The Anson Mills Building is an historic building located on the original site of the c1832 Ponce de Leon ranch in El Paso, Texas. Built in 1911 by Trost & Trost, this building was the second concrete-frame skyscraper to be constructed in the United States, and was classified as the tallest building in El Paso when finished.
Mills Plaza Properties hired Martinez+Johnson to rehabilitate the building to serve as a premium location for offices with an elegant promenade on the ground floor. This renovation was part of the Mills Plaza District creation, joining business, restaurant, and retail in three buildings: the Mills Building, the Centre Building, and the historic Plaza Hotel.
The scope of work included repurposing the 12-story Mills Building to include rentable office space, with about 8,500SF dedicated to retail space in the ground-floor promenade, linking the Mills to the recently remodeled Centre Building (a famous landmark once known as the White House Department Store) adjacent to the site. The original brick facades were kept and all other historical elements returned to their 1915 appearance. Local marble, limestone, and tile grace an interior framed with vaulted ceilings and indirect cove lighting.