Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

1412 I Street Northwest
Washington, DC, 20005
United States

With a professional working relationship spanning three decades, Gary F Martinez FAIA and Thomas E Johnson FAIA founded Martinez+Johnson Architecture in 1994 to bring their design sensitivities to institutional and cultural projects in urban locations. The 25-architect firm has since established an expertise in three main architectural areas – the restoration and adaptive reuse of historic structures, institutional buildings in urban areas and community settings, and the design and planning of performing arts venues.

Known for a thoughtful design approach to public facilities, M+J develops an intimate understanding of the needs of users, patrons, and operators destined to inhabit the projects of the firm. M+J looks to the future in their design aesthetic even when the context may be firmly rooted in the past and executes creative solutions to facilities both new and historic, where flexibility, ease of operation, and high but versatile performance characteristics are requisite. Venues express aspirational values and goals of the communities within which they are located, and at the same time conform to issues of economic value at the highest levels of environmental sustainability.

Gallup Building

 

Gallup Building

Washington, dc


During construction, The Gallup Organization, a nationally known polling and consulting company, became the project primary tenant, necessitating modifications to the building and public space design. The project was a neighborhood pioneer and a catalyst for surrounding development in the historic downtown.

 

Opportunity

The Gallup Building is a significant renovation and addition project, encompassing the 32,500 SF Old Masonic Temple, a four-story structure completed in 1869 with extremely high floor-to-floor heights including a 28-foot high second floor, a 130,000 SF addition, and several levels of underground parking. The Temple is an individually designated landmark of particular significance to the city, and the entire redevelopment project received Historic Preservation Tax Credits through review by the National Park Service.

 

Creation

The project retains the Temple’s floor-to-floor heights, aligning them with new floors in an addition. The new component extends to 120 feet and has four floors above the Temple, all surrounding a 1500 SF glazed atrium space. The original building walls form the south and west sides of an atrium accessed off Ninth Street NW between the Temple and the addition. Consequently, the public experience within the building is to understand the interaction of the new and old building components.  

The facade of the addition extends the retail base of the Temple and the muscular horizontal banding that distinguishes the Masonic Temple. As the addition wraps the atrium and extends above the Temple, the building skin becomes increasingly abstract and transparent and is capped by a metal interpretation of the Temple cornice.  The texture and rhythm of the openings resembles that of the larger old buildings in the locale, notably the Riggs and Atlas Buildings across F Street NW.


Owner: IGC Properties c/o David Stern

Completion: 2001

Size: 205,000SF

Cost: $16M

AWARDS: 2000 Greater Washington Commercial Association of Realtors – Renovated Project of the Year

2001 Greater Washington Board of Trade Award – Historic Preservation

2002 Washington Business Journal Real Estate Award – Historic Preservation

2003 AIA | DC AWARD OF MERIT – OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN HISTORIC RESOURCES

2003 WASHINGTON, DC MAYOR’S AWARD BUILDING AWARD - EXCELLENCE IN HISTORIC PRESERVATION

2004 AIA | DC AWARD OF MERIT – HISTORIC PRESERVATION

2004 Washington Business Journal - Ranked Number 5 in top commercial real estate sales

2005 Washington Business Journal - Best Real Estate Deals of 2000 - Best Rehab

 
 
 
 
 

more place + community